Saturday, May 28, 2011

Peach Freezer Jam

The recipe made 3 pints of jam
My friend's peach tree was bursting with peaches the other day and so I took a few off of her hands.  I finally got to them today and made some yummy peach freezer jam!  You might guess that I prefer freezer jam.  I think it just tastes fresher and holds the true flavor better.  I know how to do other jams.  I just like the taste of freezer jam better.  It is so easy to make too.  The last time I worked with peaches I blanched them.  The problem with this is that it makes them soggy and they fall apart and lose their shape.  I just didn't like that.  So this time I just washed and peeled them.  I used a peeler on the ones that the skin didn't just peel off easily with my fingers.  It worked beautifully.  I then chopped them up really small and added them to a big bowl of sugar.  I followed the direction in the Sure-Jell box.  I stirred them together, let them sit for 10 minutes and then made the pectin to add to it.  That's just pectin and water.  I then poured the pectin and water in and stirred and stirred.  When it looked like it wasn't grainy anymore, I stopped stirring and spooned it into jars.  I have one of those canning funnels that made it much easier.  And now I have peach jam!  Yep.  It's that easy!  My
picture shows the peaches I peeled, but didn't need.  See how good
they peeled with the peeler? 

No comments:

Post a Comment