Saturday, April 9, 2011

Strawberry Pancakes

One of my favorite ways to make pancakes!  I like to take my extra strawberries and cut them up and put the pieces in my pancakes.  Then I use my strawberry freezer jam instead of syrup on top.  I make my own pancake mix.  Here is the recipe:


Ingredients:
  • 8 cups flour
  • 3/4 cups shortening powder (one of my favorite food storage items!)
  • 3/4 cups powdered milk
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cups dehydrated whole eggs
  • 1/3 cups baking powder
  • 1 Tablespoon salt
Making the Pancakes:
  • 2 cups Pancake Mix
  • 2 cups water (I often add a little more to get the consistency I like)
Stir together.  Cook on a hot griddle.  This usually makes about 4 8-inch pancakes.  Our family has different tastes for pancakes, so here are some of the kinds we like:


  • Plain pancakes with peanut butter spread on top and syrup poured over
  • Add a small handful of chocolate chips sprinkled over the top after pouring on the griddle and then we push them down in with a fork so the batter covers the chips.  We then eat them plain or add a little bit of syrup.
  • Add cut up strawberries and like the chocolate chips, push it down in so the batter covers the strawberries.  We like strawberry jam on top of this.
Obviously the possibilities are endless.  I've also made blueberry pancakes and used blueberry jam on them as well.  They were yummy!  When you fresh fruits start to get a little old, it is easy to store them in the freezer and use them later in things like pancakes and muffins.  You can also use freeze-dried fruits in them which is yummy too!


No comments:

Post a Comment